Insect sting allergy

Bees, wasps and ants can cause severe, life threatening anaphylaxis. If this has happened to you, there is a high chance it will occur again. Even if you have been stung since your severe reaction, there is still a high chance of future severe reactions.

Occasionally people have large local swellings after being stung, this does not usually progress onto anaphylaxis.

It is important that you be assessed to determine your risk of future reactions and to see if you need to carry adrenaline, or if you need desensitisation. Our doctors can perform skin testing, or organise blood testing if needed to investigate the insect allergy, and organise desensitisation if required.